Bed Bug Exterminator
2 Locations Serving St. Louis & Kansas City :: Bed bugs are some of the most unpleasant pests you can have in your home.
Unlike other biting insects, bed bugs live, feed, and breed right inside your home, on or next to your bed, and spread to other areas of your home. Bed bugs are notoriously hard to get rid of, and DIY methods are typically ineffective. If you suspect a bed bug infestation, get in touch with a professional bed bug exterminator right away.
Contact Titan Pest & Wildlife – we will get rid of your bed bug infestation with safe and minimal chemicals. Because of the proximity of humans to the infested areas, we take extra precautions to avoid any toxicity or allergies developing in our customers.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are parasites that feed on human blood at night. They are usually found in and around people’s beds, which is how they got their name. They are small, oval, reddish-brown insects and typically feed on blood every five to ten days. However, they are capable of surviving for months without eating.
They do not have wings and cannot fly or jump. They hide during the day in places like the seams of a mattress, bed frames, box springs, headboards, inside cracks or crevices, behind wallpaper, and in other furniture. While they have been known to travel as far as 100 feet, they generally live within 8 feet of where people sleep.
They are incredibly prolific and will breed fast if they are not exterminated quickly. In ideal conditions, a bed bug will live for up to a year, and if a female bed bug is not killed during the pest control actions, it can breed fast and restart the infestation.
Do Bed Bugs Spread Disease?
Bed bugs are not to spread disease. However, their presence often causes itching and loss of sleep. Some people are allergic to their bite and can have an allergic reaction that may require medical attention.
Signs of a Bed Bug Infestation
The typical sign of having a bed bug infestation is finding specific bite marks on your body: three bites in a row. The bitten area will get red and itchy, swollen, and might even become blisters if sensitive to insect bites.
However, it can take up to 2 weeks for bite marks to develop, so it’s essential to look for other signs when determining if you have bed bugs. These signs include:
- Bloodstains on sheets or pillowcases
- Dark or rusty spots on sheets or mattresses and walls
- Fecal spots, eggs shells, or skin casts in areas where they hide
- Musty, offensive odor from their scent glands
How Did They Get into Your Home?
Bed bugs are often associated with hotels, but they commonly infest apartment complexes, homes, and other commercial establishments. So, how did they get into your home?
- Bed bugs are hitchhikers – When traveling, it is possible to pick them up unknowingly either in a hotel, on a plane, or from some other type of public transportation. They can hitch a ride in your luggage, in your purse, or even on your person.
- Garage sale or thrift store – While it can be fun to buy furniture and other items from a flea market or thrift store, bed bugs are often introduced into a home on things that are already infested. This can include almost any item, even clothes.
- Houseguests – Having friends and family stay with us from out of town is fun, but remember, bed bugs love to hitchhike. A houseguest can unknowingly bring bed bugs with them from traveling in their luggage. College dorms are a known haven for these pests, so when students return home for the holidays or the summer, they may bring these unwanted house guests with them.
Bed bugs are not always the result of uncleanliness or lack of proper sanitation. They are hitchhikers and opportunists. Do not let embarrassment prevent you from seeking help from a professional bed bug exterminator.
What to Do if You Have Bed Bugs
If you suspect a bed bug infestation, contact Titan Pest & Wildlife right away. Several treatments may be required, and our bed bug exterminators will do everything they can to get rid of them and prevent their return.
Bed bugs are tough to control, and they can multiply and spread incredibly quickly. Almost all DIY methods of bed bug eradication are ineffective and can be very harmful. However, what you can do is clean all of your bedding, linens, curtains, and clothing in hot water and dry them on the highest dryer setting. Items that can’t be easily washed, such as stuffed animals or shoes, should be placed in the dryer on high for at least 30 minutes.
Bed Bugs Exterminator & Bed Bug Control
Bed bugs multiply quickly, so detecting them early to prevent a more extensive infestation is essential. Titan Pest & Wildlife follows an integrated approach that involves assessing the property, implementing solutions, and monitoring any bed bug problems that may re-emerge.