Silverfish Pest Control
Silverfish love to eat sugars, starches, books, papers, wallpaper, adhesives, and sometimes linens. If you notice holes chewed through these items, you might have a silverfish infestation.
We often see several insects scurrying across the floor and up the walls because many of them could care less whether or not they’re seen. However, other insects, like silverfish, make every effort not to be seen. So you may have them secretly living in your home and not even know it. In addition, silverfish are nocturnal, so the fact that they’re active when you are sleeping is another reason.
However, the problem with silverfish, whether you see them or not, is that they can cause a lot of damage to your home. So even if you don’t see them, you may notice the havoc they’re wrecking.
At Titan Pest & Wildlife, we offer a variety of interior and exterior pest control solutions. We understand that when it comes to pests, there aren’t any one-size-fits-all solutions. We customize our plans to the specific requirements of each home or business and ensure that your needs and expectations are met with care and professionalism.
What Are Silverfish?
Silverfish get their name from their appearance – they are silvery metallic colored and have a fish-like shape. Some people call them bristletails because they have three long, tail-like appendages on the end of their bodies. They are found throughout the U.S. and prefer to live in moist, dark, humid areas like bathrooms, basements, and attics. Because they like to hide from humans, the damage they cause may go unnoticed for some time.
Signs of a Silverfish Infestation
Silverfish can live almost anywhere, so it’s not unlikely that they’re in your home. There are a few signs to look for; some of these include:
- Seeing live silverfish – This seems obvious, but if they’re out and about, there may be more in your home than you realize.
- Fecal matter – Their droppings are easy to identify. They resemble small, black peppercorns and will be in the areas they frequent.
- Shed skin – Throughout their life cycle, they shed their skin. The outer shells are tiny and delicate.
- Yellow stains or dust – As they molt, they leave yellowish dust on the surfaces they crawl on. You may see these stains on paper, books, or other paper products where they have been.
- Damage – This may be the most obvious sign to look for. Silverfish love to eat sugars, starches, books, papers, wallpaper, adhesives, and sometimes linens. If you notice holes chewed through these items, you might have a silverfish infestation.
How to Get Rid of Silverfish
There are several proactive things you can do to discourage silverfish from entering your home. One of the best ways is to control humidity levels in your house. Silverfish prefer to live in areas with 75-95% humidity. That may sound high, but humidity levels in St. Louis & Kansas City reach this level, especially in the summer months. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers are essential for making your home less attractive to silverfish. It’s also a good idea to fix leaky faucets and pipes quickly and eliminate any standing water.
Another good suggestion is to store items in plastic bins rather than cardboard boxes. One of the silverfish’s most favorite things is cardboard. This is a good idea for preventing other pests, like roaches and mice, from entering your house.
If these preventative measures have not worked and silverfish are a persistent problem, contact Titan Pest & Wildlife. We offer a variety of interior and exterior pest control solutions. We understand that when it comes to silverfish, there aren’t any one-size-fits-all solutions. We customize our plans to the specific requirements of each home or business and ensure that your needs and expectations are met with care and professionalism.
Integrated Pest Management System
Pest control is essential whether you want to protect your home or business. By utilizing an integrated pest management program, we ensure that we eliminate your current pests and prevent future outbreaks. These methods include:
- Planning – We conduct a thorough inspection of your home or facility, considering any factors that may contribute to current or future pest issues. Following this, we will create a customized treatment program specifically designed for your situation.
- Initial pest control service – Our initial visit will focus on targeting and eliminating any current pest problems you have. We will ensure that any future issues are a matter of pest prevention.
- Regularly scheduled service – At Titan Pest & Wildlife, we provide preventative maintenance programs to ensure that your home or business is and remains completely pest-free.
Contact Titan Pest & Wildlife
At Titan Pest & Wildlife, you will find the answer to all your pest control needs. With customized services created by highly trained pest management technicians, you can expect the best pest protection. Our team is highly experienced and uses safe and highly effective pest extermination methods. Contact us today and let us help you keep your home free of silverish!